If you’ve just found out that your company’s taxable income is higher than you anticipated, it’s probably because of some unanticipated expenses. Maybe you bought a vehicle for work without realizing the additional depreciation would cost you more than expected. Whichever the reason, chances are that your tax return will be delayed. The good news is that there are ways to get your tax return back in a timely fashion. The first thing to keep in mind is that asking for it won’t make it happen any faster or any sooner. Once the authorities have received your paper, it will take them approximately 10 days to process and validate the information provided. Thereafter, they will send out a ‘reconnaissance’ letter with details on how much tax and penalties you will owe if no improvements are made within an agreed deadline. This means that if you don’t receive another letter before the end of the following month, something has probably gone wrong with your return (e.g., errors in calculations). If this happens to be the case, don’t panic! Here are seven simple steps to get your tax return back:

Understand the process

1. Contact the IRS
2. Check your 1099-R
3. Determine which receipts are applicable
4. Check for errors on your return
5. Track the progress of your return
6. Request a second opinion from the IRS
7. Ask for an extension

Get your information together ahead of time

The first step is to collect all the information needed for your return. This includes anything that you might need, such as receipts and tax documents. When gathering this information, be sure to keep track of everything so that you don’t miss anything important.

Make sure you understand the assessment

If your return is being delayed, there’s no doubt that something has gone wrong. The first step is to verify whether or not the assessment of your tax returns is accurate. Make sure you understand everything in the assessment. If you disagree with any of the information listed in this letter, contact the IRS immediately and tell them about it. It’s important to note that you have one year after receiving a reconnaissance letter before paying taxes and penalties.

Ask for an extension

Requesting an extension will allow you to send a new, valid return before the deadline. Don’t forget to attach a letter detailing the changes in your tax and penalty payments. Additionally, make sure that you don’t include any personal information in your original return (e.g., Social Security number).

Wait and see what they say

The first thing to do is to wait for the reconnaissance letter. It is important not to worry about the possible impact this letter may have on your tax return, because if there are no improvements made before the deadline, the consequences will be worse.

If they say no…

If your company’s taxable income is higher than you anticipated and your tax return has been delayed, the first thing to do is to review the information on their website. The IRS will have a letter for you with more details about how much tax and penalties you owe if no improvements are made within an agreed deadline.
1. Contact them
It may seem obvious, but the simplest way to get your tax return back is by contacting the IRS. You can reach them via phone, email, or snail mail. If you’re not sure who to contact, just call 1-800-829-1040 and ask for help from one of our customer service representatives. They will be able to walk you through the process of getting your tax return back in a timely fashion.

If they say yes…

If you are asked for information, do your best to provide it. Even if you think the request is unfair, provide all information that they request.
If you fail to prove that the error was made by another party, then the return will be rejected and penalties will be assessed.


Now that you know how to get your tax return back, what are your next steps?
If you are looking for ways to get your tax return back quickly and easily, understanding the process is a must. You can use this information to figure out how long it will take and what your next steps should be if you get denied. If you are denied, ask for an extension and wait to hear back from the IRS. If they say no, take action. If they say yes, they will send you your refund in a timely fashion!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.